The Department of Car Service was founded in 1933. Prof. Ye. Myloslavskyi was the Head of the Department. During 1941-1945, together with other departments, it was evacuated to Saratov where it joined Saratov Automobile and Highway Institute. After the war, the department was refounded in KhADI. From 1946 to 1956 the Department was headed by Prof. Ye. Myloslavskyi. Then, the Head of the Department was Assoc. Prof. Ye. Reshetnykov (1956-1959) and Prof. M. Hovorushchenko (1959-2005). Since July 25, 2000 the department was called Systems Engineering and Transport Machines Diagnostics. For a short period (in 2005) the Department was headed by Prof. М. Varfolomeiev. Now (since 2005) the Department is headed by Prof. V. Volkov, and it received the new name − Car Service and Maintenance.
The first Head of the Department was Professor Ye. Myslavskyi, who graduated from St. Petersburg Institute of Railway Engineers. Being a highly-skilled automotive engineer, he headed first Bukhara Railway, and then Nikolaev (Tsarska) Railway − St. Petersburg−Moscow.
In different years the Department staff carried out a number of design projects commissioned by various enterprises.